CREAM CHEESE RECIPE
When choosing your milk finding a rich creamy style will help with the final texture and flavor your are looking for- in this case high in fat is good!
- 1 US Gallon (4 liters) of milk (creamy milk- or even half and half)
- ½ tspn Direct-set Mesophilic Culture 2 tbsp Starter Solution
- 5 drops rennet
- Cheese salt
- Sanitize all equipment
- Heat milk (or half and half) in a pan to 165°F (75°C).
- Stir in the starter and leave off the heat for 1 hour.
- Dilute the rennet in a ¼ cup of cool boiled/bottled water and add to the milk, making sure to stir through gently and cover pot with lid and leave in a warm place for 12 hours.
- Now the curds should be set. Gently ladle the curds into a cheese cloth and leave to drain for a further 12 hours.
- Place curds in a bowl and mix in a spinkle of cheese salt to taste. This will also draw more whey from the curd. Hang again in the cheese cloth for a couple more hours.
- Place the curd into small cheese molds and place in fridge. This will firm up the texture of the cream cheese and it is now ready to enjoy.