BASIC SOFT CHEESE RECIPE
Make up the starter culture solution according to the instructions given on the leaflet. This starter culture can be frozen in ice-cube trays for use as required, using 2-3 cubes to innoculate 1 gallon (4.5 litres) of milk.
Make this a holiday treat by adding some cranberries or other festive fruit!
- Heat one gallon of milk to approximately 90ºC (194ºF) and then cool rapidly to 20-22ºC (68-72ºF).
- Add two tablespoons (30ml) of starter culture solution previously prepared, and add 4 drops of pre-diluted rennet. Cover the container and stand in a warm area at 20-22ºC (68-72ºF) for 24 hours, when a good curd should have formed.
- Pour off the bulk of the whey, pour into a cheesecloth and tie up the corners allowing the remaining whey to drain through. Leave for a further 24 hours.
- Remove from cheese cloth and roll out. Sprinkle with salt if required and add any other flavourings (chives, pineapple, nuts etc.). Knead well until fully incorporated.
- Pack into suitable containers and refrigerate. Your soft cheese is now ready to eat, although it will become more strongly flavoured if allowed to mature.