You have no items in your shopping basket.
Basic Soft Cheese Recipe
Make up the starter culture solution according to the instructions given on the leaflet. This starter culture can be frozen in ice-cube trays for use as required, using 2-3 cubes to innoculate 1 gallon (4.5 litres) of milk.
Make this a holiday treat by adding some cranberries or other festive fruit!
- Heat one gallon of milk to approximately 90ºC (194ºF) and then cool rapidly to 20-22ºC (68-72ºF).
- Add two tablespoons (30ml) of starter culture solution previously prepared, and add 4 drops of pre-diluted rennet. Cover the container and stand in a warm area at 20-22ºC (68-72ºF) for 24 hours, when a good curd should have formed.
- Pour off the bulk of the whey, pour into a cheesecloth and tie up the corners allowing the remaining whey to drain through. Leave for a further 24 hours.
- Remove from cheese cloth and roll out. Sprinkle with salt if required and add any other flavourings (chives, pineapple, nuts etc.). Knead well until fully incorporated.
- Pack into suitable containers and refrigerate. Your soft cheese is now ready to eat, although it will become more strongly flavoured if allowed to mature.